Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beer, Fly Fishing Film Tour, and more Beer

Enjoying a local brew at the Fly Fishing Film Tour
Before you ask ... No.  I do not fly fish.  In fact, I have very little interest in it.  However.... I love nature, I am passionate about conservation, and I have a great appreciation for the sport.  I have read enough books like "The River Why" and seen enough movies like "A River Runs Through It" to know that the sport, nay, the ART of fly fishing is a sacred and beautiful thing.  So, this weekend, I tagged along with Matt (and his friend Chris) to the Fly Fishing Film Tour, and knew, without a doubt, that I would enjoy it.

The film tour was being shown in many spots in the United States.  We went to a viewing in Brunswick, Maine at the Frontier Cafe, Cinema & Gallery .  The cinema included rows of tables where you could order food and drinks from the attached cafe and enjoy them during the show. It was a great experience.

Lion's Pride Pub
Even though I do not fly fish, I really enjoyed all the films shown at the festival.  Movies ranged from a tale of three brothers bonding over a lifetime of Michigan fishing, to the story of D.C. city folk discovering the abundance of fishing opportunities in their backyard, to an adventure of exploring Thailand's hidden rivers on the back of an elephant.  My favorite was the film "Turning Tail", which chronicles the decline and conservation the Atlantic salmon.  The film, by Gray Ghost Productions, takes place mainly in Maine, which is why I was particularly drawn to it.

Prior to our film-tour-adventure, we went to a hidden gem of a pub called "The Lion's Pride Pub and Restaurant".  It is located on Rt. 1 in Brunswick, Maine.  The Lion's Pride is the sister pub to "Ebenezer's", in Lovell, Maine, which has been awarded "Best Beer Bar in the World" for 5 years in a row by Beer Advocate.

The Lion's Pride specializes in Belgium style beers (although it carries others as well).  Don't expect to see Budweiser, or even Sam Adams on the menu.  In fact, if you are an average Joe like me, don't expect to recognize ANY of the beers on the menu.  That said, their beer menu comes with descriptions, and it's an adventure in itself to sample unique and rare brew from around the globe.  It should be noted that beers are pricier then your average bar - with one drink averaging around $7-$10.  Even if you are not knowledgeable about beer, you'll still enjoy this unique experience.

Beautiful Glass Taps at the Lion's Pride Pub
Matt and I had a great day in Brunswick, Maine.  Although we weren't on our typical outdoor adventure, we still got to celebrate the outdoors through the Fly Fishing Tour and a good drink at the Lion's Pride.